Recall Update: After the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued an urgent safety warning on their website, Fisher-Price, of East Aurora, N.Y., decided to recall the 4.7 million Rock ‘N Play sleepers.
- 4/5/19 – the CPSC issues an urgent warning titled, “CPSC and Fisher-Price Warn Consumers About Fisher-Price Rock ‘N Play Due to Reports of Death When Infants Roll Over in the Product” claiming that they were aware of at least 10 infant deaths associated with the Fisher-Price Rock ‘N Play Sleeper.
- 4/12/19 – One week after the CPSC issued their warning, Fisher-Price decided to issue a Nationwide recall of the defective baby sleeper. In their recall notice, the company states that “since the 2009 product introduction, over 30 infant fatalities have occurred in Rock ‘n Play Sleepers, after the infants rolled over while unrestrained, or under other circumstances.”
The CPSC stated, “Because deaths continue to occur, CPSC is recommending consumers stop use of the product by three months of age, or as soon as an infant exhibits rollover capabilities. CPSC has previously warned consumers to use restraints in infant inclined sleep products.”
List of Recalls
The following inclined baby sleeper and infant bassinet models have been recalled.
- Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Recall (2019)
- Kids II Rocking Sleeper Recall (2019)
- Graco Little Lounger Rocking Seat Recall (2020)
- Delta Incline Sleeper & Simmons Beautyrest Baby Sleeper Recall (2020)
- Evenflo Pillo Portable Napper Inclined Baby Sleeper Recall (2020)
- Summer Infant SwaddleMe By Your Bed Baby Sleeper Recall (2020)
- Kolcraft Cuddle ‘n Care Bassinet (2020)
Please visit our law firm’s main webpage to learn more about how our lawyers can help you file a lawsuit – baby sleeper recall lawsuit.
Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID)
SUID is the death of an infant less than 1 year of age that occurs suddenly and unexpectedly, and whose cause of death is not immediately obvious prior to investigation. Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), accidental suffocation and strangulation all fall under the larger category of SUID.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some 3,500 babies in the United States die suddenly and unexpectedly in their sleep each year. About half of sudden unexpected infant deaths are due to SIDS, the sudden death of an apparently healthy infant less than 1 year of age that remains unexplained after a thorough investigation.
If you have recently lost a baby, we urge you to seek emotional support and help through whatever means is appropriate to your personal beliefs. There are many online support groups available specifically for parents and family members who have experienced SIDS or SUID loss. One such group is called First Candle. Here is a direct link to a free brochure they published titled, “Surviving the Death of a Baby — Grief Resources From First Candle“.
Previous Recalls Issued on Rock ‘N Play
The Rock ‘N Play Sleeper device has been recalled in the past for a different issue. In 2013, Fisher-Price recalled 800,000 sleepers after getting more than 600 complaints from customers about mold forming under the cushions that, in some cases, led to respiratory issues in children. The mold issue also led to a proposed class action complaint.
Talk With a Product Liability Lawyer – Free Lawsuit Review
If you or a loved one has suffered a loss due to the Rock ‘N Play Sleeper, you should speak with the lawyers at Johnson // Becker. The product liability lawyers at our firm have handled similar lawsuits in the past, are currently representing a number of families devastated by this recall, and would like to speak with you if you have suffered a tragic loss from this product.
We offer a Free Case Evaluation. Please contact us using the form below or by calling us at (800) 279-6386. We would be honored to speak with you and respond promptly to every inquiry we receive.