On Oct. 19, 2023, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recalled Fortress Safe’s biometric gun safes due to a serious risk of injury and death.
The gun safes are portable lock boxes intended to store firearms. According to the CPSC, the programming of the recalled gun safe’s biometric lock can allow it to be easily opened, posing a serious risk of injury and death to unauthorized users, including children, from potential firearms within.
The CPSC reported that a 12-year-old boy died from a firearm retrieved from one of the gun safes. Additionally, there have been 39 reported incidents of consumers stating that unpaired fingerprints accessed their safes.
Approximately 61,000 units have been recalled.
What biometric gun safe models are included in the recall?
The recall includes the following model numbers:
- 11B20 | Fortress Portable Safe with Biometric Lock
- 44B10 | Fortress Personal Safe with Pop up door and Biometric Lock
- 44B10L | Legend Range & Field Personal Safe with Pop up door and Biometric Lock
- 44B20 | Fortress Medium Personal Safe with Biometric Lock
- 55B20 | Fortress Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock
- 55B30 | Fortress Large Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock
- 55B30G | Gettysburg Large Quick Access Safe with Biometric Lock
- 4BGGBP | Cabela’s 4 Gun Safe with Biometric Lock
- 55B30BP | Cabela’s Biometric Personal Safe
The CPSC advises consumers to immediately cease the use of recalled biometric gun safes and remove the batteries.
Questions About a Gun Safe Lawsuit? Contact a Johnson//Becker Lawyer for a Free Case Review.
If you or a loved one has been injured or tragically killed due to an unsecured gun safe, you may want to speak with the lawyers at Johnson//Becker. We are accepting new gun safe recall lawsuits nationwide, and we would be honored to speak with you.
We offer a Free Case Evaluation. Please contact us using the form below or by calling us at (800) 279-6386.
We would be honored to speak with you and respond promptly to every inquiry we receive.