Cashmere Bouquet Lawsuit

In 2018, the makers of Cashmere Bouquet settled a lawsuit that alleged its talcum powder contained asbestos, leading to an aggressive form of cancer.

Cashmere Bouquet LawsuitCashmere Bouquet is a staple for the Colgate brand, having enjoyed a decades-long run as a popular hygiene regimen to keep consumers smelling fresh.

Companies with similar product lines, such as Shower to Shower by Johnson & Johnson, encouraged consumers with slogans like, “A sprinkle a day keeps the odor away!”

Talcum powder is also known as baby powder. Its purpose is to prevent chafing while keeping the skin smooth. But the fine particles from talcum powder in Cashmere Bouquet have led many to believe it causes mesothelioma.

Injured by Cashmere Bouquet?
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with Mesothelioma and were a user of Cashmere Bouquet, you are not alone. To learn how our lawyers can help you and your family, please contact us for a Free Case Evaluation. We would be honored to speak with you and will respond promptly to every inquiry we receive.
Get a Free Case Review

Talc is an ultra-fine, silicate substance typically mined in Brazil, China, India, Mexico and the United States. It’s not only found in cosmetics, but household products as well. Think paint, ceramic bathroom fixtures, roofing.

Companies like Colgate or Johnson & Johnson have enjoyed the branding image that comes along with being distributors of baby powder. It suggests to consumers they manufacture a reliable product for the most vulnerable population of children.

The link between talcum powder and cancer began in the 1970s when talc mines were found to have contained asbestos. Dr. Arthur Rohl tested the product in 1976 and found that it contained 8 to 20 percent asbestos fibers. In 1976, he stated in the New York Times that:

“Asbestos fibers can cause mesothelioma, a chest and abdominal cancer, and can also result in the scarring of lung tissue and gastro‐intestinal difficulties.” Years later and the results continue to cause controversy.

Mesothelioma is a form of lung cancer that can manifest 20 to 50 years after exposure. It stems from exposure to asbestos. Similar to talcum powder, asbestos is a fine particle that embeds itself into the lungs. Early signs of exposure to asbestos are low-level inflammation of the lungs.

Signs of mesothelioma are:

  • Persistent cough
  • Chest pain
  • Shortness of breath
  • Painful breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fluid buildup
  • Fever
  • Night sweats
  • Weight loss

Cashmere Bouquet Lawsuit Settlement

In 2018, California resident Paul Garcia, 67, filed a talcum powder mesothelioma lawsuit against Colgate-Palmolive for manufacturing Cashmere Bouquet, which he says caused his diagnosis of mesothelioma. He indicated the company failed to adequately warn consumers that the powder contained asbestos and could cause cancer.

The company issued a press release that it reached a settlement with Garcia on July 12, 2018. However, the terms were not divulged publicly.

Other companies, like Johnson & Johnson, have faced lawsuits alleging its talcum powder and baby powder cause cancer. In 2018, J&J was found 70% responsible for causing mesothelioma in plaintiff Stephen Lanzo III. The other 30% was attributed to the talcum powder supplier, Imerys Talc America Inc.

To read more about the Johnson & Johnson talcum powder lawsuit, click here.

Questions About a Cashmere Bouquet Lawsuit? Contact a Johnson//Becker Lawyer for a Free Case Review.

If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma and you were a user of Cashmere Bouquet, you may want to speak with the lawyers at Johnson//Becker. We are currently accepting new baby powder lawsuits across the country, and you may be entitled to financial compensation. 

We offer a Free Case Evaluation. Please contact us using the form below or by calling us at (800) 279-6386.

We would be honored to speak with you and respond promptly to every inquiry we receive.

Free Case Evaluation

Verified 100% Secure Site To contact us for a free review of your potential case, please fill out the form below or call us toll free 24 hrs/day by dialing: (800) 279-6386.